In preparation for the Easter holidays, we suggest you take note of the peak travel periods which are expected. Peak traffic conditions can be demanding and stressful. Drivers are advised to plan their trips in advance and be aware of road and weather conditions ahead, remain patient and courteous, stay alert and take regular rest stops.
Expected Peak Traffic Times
Traffic volumes are expected to be exceptionally high, especially, over the Easter Weekend period. The following high peak periods are expected:
N3 Toll Route
- 18 April 12:00 – 00:00 (Southbound)
- 19 April 05:00 – 15:00 (Southbound)
- 22 April 09:00 – 21:00 (Northbound)
N4 TRAC Toll Route
- 18 April 13:00 – 18:00 (Eastbound)
- 22 April 10:00 – 21:00 (Westbound)
N1N4 Bakwena Toll Route
- 18 April 12:00 – 21:00 (N1 Northbound)
- 19 April 09:00 – 12:00 (N1 Northbound)
- 20 April 06:00 – 08:00 (N1 Northbound)
- 22 April 09:00 – 21:00 (N1 Southbound)
Conventional (boom-down) Toll Plazas
Most conventional toll plazas accept e-tags as a payment method. If you have a SANRAL account registered with an e-tag fitted to the inside of your windscreen and have an up-to-date account, you may use your e-tag as a method of payment at the toll plaza, listed below:
- All toll plazas on SANRAL’s Concession Routes:
N1/N4 Bakwena, N3TC & N4 TRAC
- N1 North Toll Route:
(Baobab, Capricorn, Sebetiela, Kranskop, Nyl, Stormvoël, Zambesi, Pumulani, Wallmannsthal, Murrayhill, Hammanskraal, Carousel and Maubane)
- N17 Toll Route:
(Gosforth, Dalpark, Denne, Leandra, Ermelo, Brakpan and Trichardt)
- N4 Magalies Toll Route:
(Quagga, Pelindaba, Doornpoort, K99 interchange, Brits, Buffelspoort, Marikana, Kroondal and Swartruggens)
- N4 East of Tshwane Toll Route:
(Donkerhoek, Cullinan, Diamond Hill, Valtaki, Ekandustria, Middelburg, Machado and Nkomazi)
- N1 South/R30 Toll Route:
(Grasmere, Vaal, Verkeerdevlei, Brandfort and Huguenot)
- N3 Mariannhill Toll Plaza:
(Mariannhill, Mooi, Treverton, Bergville, Tugela East, Tugela, Wilge and De Hoek)
- N2 South Coast Toll Route:
(Umtentweni, Oribi, and Izotsha)
- N2 Garden Route:
- N2 North Coast Toll Route:
(King Shaka, Tongaat, Mvoti, Mtunzini, Mandini and Dokodweni- Limited Lanes Only)
Automated Electronic Payment Lanes
- Signs at the plaza will indicate at which lane you can use your e-tag.
- Reduce speed when entering the toll plaza area.
- Select a lane which accepts e-tag as a method of payment.
- Maintain a car length following distance to avoid paying for a vehicle in front of you.
- Your tag is detected and will release one or more beeps depending on your account status.
- 1 x Beep: Payment Successful
- 2 x Beeps: Low Balance Warning
- 4 x Beeps: Account Suspended
- No Beeps: Contact Customer Services if it occurs at more than one plaza
Plan your Journey
- Plan your Journey in advance.
- Ensure that the funds in your account will be able to accommodate the costs of all Toll Plazas on your route.
- Booms will not open if the funds in your account are less than the amount due at the specific Toll Plaza.
- You can also use the SANRAL Mobile App to check your balance, top up and manage your account profile.
- Should your tag not be read at the Toll Plaza which would require you to pay by cash or credit card, the receipt produced at the plaza should be kept safe, should there be any disputes at a later stage.
- The receipt provided would be required to verify any claims.
Below are options you may utilise to Top up your SANRAL Account:
- At participating retailers; Pick ’n Pay, and Checkers,
- On the SANRAL Mobile App,
- Online, through our e-toll website,
- Visiting a Customer Service Centre,
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT),
- Calling our Call Centre on 0800 726 725 (6 am – 10 pm),
- At any FNB Branch and making over-the-counter payments, and
- At any Advanced FNB ATM which has a note accepting facility.
Please be reminded that payments made with 3rd parties may take up to five days to reflect on your account.
- You may link the topping up of your Account to your Credit Card or through Direct Debit.
- Once the low balance threshold is reached, the Account will be topped up automatically to a balance as determined by you either by your Credit Card or through Debit Order.
Should you need any further assistance to help plan your journey, please contact Customer Services Centres as indicated below: